Sunday 28 December 2008

Post Christmas thoughts

The house is beginning to empty. Robin and Paul left for Swansea and are now enjoying a break with Paul's family, Uncle Paul has been, caught my cold, and gone again, and James has taken himself off to London for a bridge tournament.

The great pile of presents has gone with those who have left or has spread about the house to be used or lost. I think I managed to give everything I'd bought to someone - there seem to be no packages lurking in my study. This is unusual for me, as in previous years, I have discovered, around Easter, items I bought to give to someone at Christmas. I may yet discover something small however.

Somewhere along the way, I have caught a stonking cold. My nose is streaming and sore and I can feel that I'm going to have a cough too. I must try not to feel too sorry for myself.

My thoughts now turn to what is in store for us in 2009, both as a family and a nation. The criticism of the Government by some senior bishops of the Church of England seems to me to have hit the nail on the head. We are told that all our economic problems stem from the fact that the level of debt is way too high, but the Government is doing everything it can think of to encourage us to spend even more. Surely that cannot be right? Perhaps if we all confined ourselves to spending money we do have, rather than money we don't, then an economic recovery may take a little longer, but it will be a much more stable and sustainable one. I expect that an economist would stay that "It is not as simple as that" but if we are ever to correct our situation, both individuals and the country need to live within our means.

No comments: