Sunday 24 February 2008

Is this what awaits me?

I'm going stir crazy. Here I am in Cornwall surrounded by old people. No-one I meet with in a purely social context is under 80. Very few of the conversations are new, everyone seems to repeat what they've already said to me (often more than once), and I can only take so much conversation about the weather. I find myself at odds with most of the opinions that are expressed, and, although it might be unkind to say so, have reached the conclusion that people here are distinctly out of touch with what life is really like for the majority of Britons.

Two positives have emerged from this somewhat gloomy circumstance, and they are, that I have resolved to keep up to date with things that are going on in the real world, and not to read the Daily Telegraph or the Daily Mail.

No comments: